Also known as fasolada in Greek cuisine, this soup is perfect for cold winter months. It's a creamy savory white bean soup, mixed with the flavors of carrots, onion, and celery - and my added favorite, lemon! Sure to warm your body and heart instantly.
1 cup of dried great northern beans
1/2 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups onions, cut in small dice
1 1/2 cups celery, cut in small dice
1 1/2 cups carrots, cut in small dice
salt and pepper
1-2 lemons (depending on your taste preference)
1 Soak great northern beans 2-3 hours prior to cooking. Rinse the beans when done.
2. In a medium pot (one that holds up to 14 cups of water), heat a 1/2 a cup of extra virgin olive oil.
3. Put the onion, carrot, and celery into the pot. Add salt to taste.
4. Stir and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add the great northern beans into your veggie medley and stir. Allow to cook for additional 2 minutes.
6. Pour 8 cups of water into your pot. Cover the pot halfway.
7. Stir every 15 minutes. This helps break up the beans, which creates the creaminess to the soup.
8. Cook for 1.5 hours, or until beans are soft.
9. 10 minutes before the soup is done, squeeze one lemon into the pot and stir.
10. Taste the soup and add salt or lemon to satisfy your pallette.
11. Enjoy it with a warm slice of crusty bread and a side of kalamata olives.
**Soup tastes even better the next day! Flavor fuses into the beans and veggies, making it super delicious!